Software: Google Hangouts
Aim: Facilitate synchronous interaction between students and lecturers.
Why: Lecturers and students can communicate with one another using live audio and webcam features, instant messaging and screen-sharing.
How: You will first need to request access to Google Apps for Ed by emailing email@example.com. Next, schedule a date and time for the Hangout and clearly communicate this with your students using email or a Blackboard announcement. Follow the below steps to set-up the Hangout.
1. Navigate to the Google Apps icon on the top-right of your Google Homepage:
3. On the homescreen, select Video Call:
4. Enter a name for your Hangout and select the right-hand arrow:
5. Once in the Hangout, make sure your camera and microphone are switched on by checking the boxes at the top of the screen:
6. Invite students by selecting Invite People on the centre of the screen:
7. Copy and Paste your mailing list of students for this particular lesson into the following box:
Active users will show on the bottom-right of the screen.