Google Apps for Education is a core suite of productivity applications that Google offers to educational institutions for free. In UCC the Google apps suite includes access to the following Google apps for staff:
- Calendar – sharable calendar
- Drive – cloud based file storage
- Docs – word processing tool
- Forms – questionnaire and survey tool
- Sheets – spreadsheet tool
- Slides – presentation tool
- Sites – website building tool
- Groups – group collaboration including forums
- Hangouts – video web conferencing
One of the biggest advantages of the google apps suite is that it provides tools that make collaboration very simple. Students can easily work in groups, communicate, share files, create documents or websites. Another big advantage of the Google suite is that many students are familiar with these tools already, meaning there is little need for training.
UCC students also have access to a Google email account through their umail account which they get on registration.
Staff who wish to use Google Apps must request an account by emailing email@example.com .