What is Blackboard?
Blackboard is one of the principle tools used by UCC to support online and blended learning. It is what we call a web-based Learning Management System (LMS). Put very simply it is a tool that provides access to learning materials and activities online. It is a closed system in that only UCC registered students and UCC staff can get access to UCC’s Blackboard Site.
Each module has a module site on Blackboard. This site can then be populated by you (the lecturer) with learning materials/activities. Students then have access to these materials and activities when they log in.
In brief Blackboard allows ways for users to
- Organise and share course materials: For example, you can upload a powerpoint that students can access
- Communicate between staff and students: For example, you can post an announcement or email a student.
- Work collaboratively: For example, students can have an online discussion
- Perform online assessments that are marked automatically: For example, you can create an online MCQ that is marked by Blackboard
- Administer a module: For example, you can put people into groups or keep track of results with it.
- Track students’ online activities: For example, you can check when a student last logged in and whether they have submitted an assignment.
Some basic points to know about Blackboard
In order to login to Blackboard, all users must register.
- For students, registration for Blackboard feeds automatically from the student registration system. Therefore, if a student cannot login to Blackboard it is often due to an issue with their student registration.
- Staff should get access to Blackboard by emailing the learning technologies unit at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Where can I learn more about Blackboard?
The first stop should be the Blackboard Manual. We are also currently building a searchable Blackboard FAQ page on this site. It is also worth noting there are a number of training videos available from Blackboard. So if the answer isn’t there yet, then just ask us and we will add the answer for all to see.